Helsinki City Marathon Relay – next time May 18th 2019
Helsinki City Marathon Relay will take place next year on May 18th 2019! The Marathon Relay is a great way to share the atmosphere of a marathon among a team.
The registration fee will raise in price steps. The organizer hopes that this encourages different kinds of teams to join the marathon relay, including groups of friends, coworkers or sport club teams.
One person (the team leader) may enter a team and add the other runners to the registration later. Team leader is responsible for updating the details of the runners. .
Included in the entry fee:
- Participation to the event for four persons.
- Refreshment points along the route according to each leg and at finish line for the whole team
- Finisher medal
- Printable diploma via result system
- Equipment service at finish area
- International result service UltimateLIVE
- 1 day ticket for the Helsinki City Transportation for four persons
- First aid on the route and at the finish
- Showering possibility after the race
- Free training runs once per month (in Helsinki region)
Cancelling the participation, cancelling insurance and transferring the participation to a new runner:
- Team bib number is personal and should not be given to another person without re-registering.
- Participation fee will not be refunded in any case. You do not need to inform the organization if your team can’t participate the race.
- Cancellation insurance is not available for the Marathon Relay.
- The route is the same as the Sportyfeel Helsinki City Marathon route 2017. The starting line is at Paavo Nurmi statue and the finish line is located at Telia 5 G Areena.
- The starting time of the first runner for the Marathon Relay is 15:30 (3:30 P.M.)
- Competition office and the Running Expo are open on Friday May 18th at 9:00-19:00 and Saturday May 19th 8:00-14:00 for the bib and race package pick up. Relay team picks the numbers up in one envelope.
- The team consist of 4 people. The legs will be 15, 8, 7 and 12 km. The changing areas are located at Merikatu (15 km), Kansalaistori (23 km) and at Munkkiemen Pikkuniemi (30 km).
- The relay changing areas are planned in a way that they are easily reached with public transportation. The daily ticket of the Helsinki public transportation is included in the entry fee. There is no transportation organized to transition areas.
- The transition areas will be located alongside of the route. Therefore, the route will not get longer than the full marathon. The change from one runner to next one is done when the first runner touches the second one.
- Runners may use a baton, but it is not necessary.
- The timing system works with a bib tag attached to the bib number. The team runs joint time. The Marathon Relay will have the split times each 10 kilometers, just like the marathon event.
- All runners receive a gear bag from the Competition office while picking up the number and running package. The official gear check area is located at Finish area (Bollis). There will not be separate equipment storage at the transition areas. Each team will take care of their teammates’ equipment during the race.
- There are 14-15 refreshment stations along the route at use. These are the same ones than with the Helsinki City Marathon. There is also greater variety of services and food available at the finish area. All team members can enter the finish area.
Race numbers and transition areas
1. Team’s race numbers are picked up at one time from the Competition Office during it opening hours (Friday 18th, 9am-20pm or Saturday 19th May from 8am- 2 pm). All team’s race numbers are in the same envelope. Any team member can pick up the numbers.
2. The numbering is for example 151 A, 151B, 151C, 151D, such that the first leg’s runner has A on the bib, the second runner B, etc.
3. The first runner starts at 3.30 PM at Mäntymäentie (next to competition office). The other runners will get to the transition areas by public transport. Helsinki public transport ticket is included in the entry fee, please see the insturctions of the public transport in below.
4. We recommend all relay runners to be in time in transition areas. Communicate with the runner about his/her estimated arrival time at the transition area.
5. Please note that only one of the team member’s is allowed to cross the timing matts (10 k, 20 k, 30 k and finish line)
6. As every team has a particular speed, it is not possible to organize a bag drop in each transition areas. The team itself is responsinble to organize this. Practical Tip: We suggest that the first runner brings his/her gear bag to the equipment storage (located behind the Telia 5G Arena, Bollis 6). He/she gives the clothes to wear after the run to the second runner who will hand hose over before she/he starts running. The second runner will gice his/her clother from before the run to the first runners who will take them back to the finish area.
7. The runners A, B, C can access Telia 5 G Arena through the South port (the same access than the discontinued runners use, next to HCM and Relay route) and get their medals, refreshments and snacks in the finish area.
8. Please note that only the last distance’s runner (the runner with D on the bib number) is allowed to cross the finish line so the team’s time can be guaranteed!
9. The relay team runs the same total running time. You can track your team’s progress on Ultimate Live application.
How to get to the transition areas and back to the start by public transport
From Töölö Sports Hall (Competition office and start area) to transition areas
1st transition area (15 k)
Take a tram 10 from Ooppera tram stop to Tarkk’mpujankatu
and after that either walk 750 m or take a bus 24 to Kapteenipuistikko
Or take a bus 18 from Töölön sairaala (address Topeliuksenkatu 10) to Eiran Sairaala
2nd transition area (23 k)
From Töölö Sports Hall all the buses with a direction Elielinaukio
or the trams 4,10,2 from Ooppera tram stop 4,10,2 to Hesperianpuisto
or by walking
3rd transition area (30 k)
(the bridge between Munkkiniemi and Kuusisaari)
Take the tram 4 from Ooppera tram stop to Saunalahti
and walk 10-15 minutes.
take the tram 4 from Ooppera to Meilahdentie and change for the bus 551 to Kuusiniementie. After that walk 300 meters to the direction of arrival.
Real-time timetables available on www.reittiopas.fi
All rights to changes reserved.